white beans and roasted tomatoes

This doesn't really look like much of a recipe, but it was surprisingly delicious.

We had about 10 not-great Roma tomatoes from our (disappointing due to drought) farm share, so I figured I'd continue my vegetable-roasting streak. I took it mostly from a this Smitten Kitchen recipe, which is definitely worth a look. I want to try her garlic-rubbed bread cubes next time; this time, I made risotto.

2 large onions, chopped into large pieces
10 Roma tomatoes, chopped cross-wise two or three times
sea salt
balsamic vinegar
A few tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 can canellini beans, drained and rinsed
slivered fresh basil leaves

Heat oven to 500 degrees F.

Line 9x13 brownie pan with aluminum foil. Throw in onions and tomatoes, drizzle olive oil and several splashes of balsamic, and mix thoroughly; vegetables should be evenly, lightly coated. Add a few shakes of sea salt and toss again.

Roast for 20-40 minutes, until the tomatoes show brown patches and the onions are translucent.

Assemble the dish by placing the white beans at the bottom of a large bowl or large deep platter, scraping the tomatoes and all* of their juices on top, and topping it with slivers of basil leaves.

Spoon over risotto (which I made following the directions on the arborio rice package -- you need white wine, broth, onions and parmesan cheese). Eat.

My recipe stops there, but here are Smitten Kitchen's notes:

Serve immediately. I like to throw a few garlic-rubbed bread cubes** in the bottom of a plate or small bowl and scoop the goods on top.

* These juices are where it's at. We sop them up on at the end with the leftover or bread cubes. (I didn't really have any juices, probably because of the subpar tomatoes, but the balsamic sort of crystalizes on the bottom and that tasted great scraped off the foil.)

** Lately, I’ve been using 4 1″-thick slices of a large ciabatta loaf and partially drying them out in the oven, but use whatever bread you fancy or have around. (If I’m in more of a hurry, I’ll toast them in the oven with the tomatoes, for just a minute or two.) When I take them out, I immediately rub both sides with a peeled, halved raw garlic clove. Then I cut them into cubes. You don’t want them as hard as store-bought croutons, but a nice crunch is ideal for soaking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

mango soba update