spicy pumpkin pecan raisin muffins

I don't usually bake with nuts, because J. can't eat them, but I have a bag and a half of leftover pecans and they were way too expensive to waste. These will be coming to a potluck with me tomorrow, provided that I don't eat them all first... they really are quite nicely spiced, as the name implies, and very delicious. (I would have used Sundry's insanely good recipe but we are inexplicably out of white sugar, and also I probably wouldn't have been able to keep the chocolate out, and for once, I'm glad I did.)

Also, Farmgirl Susan points out that filling the cups really full gives nice big muffins without spilling out into the oven, and she's right.

Makes about 18 large muffins

1 cup raisins [I used currants, because I like how they're small and get into every bite. also I didn't have any raisins. I should go grocery shopping sometime this month...]
3/4 cup orange juice [I used apple cider]

3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder (make sure it's fresh!)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg (a little less if freshly grated)
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

1 cup (2 sticks/8 ounces) trans-fat free vegetable oil sticks
(I use Earth Balance) or butter, melted* [I used one of butter and one of no-cholesterol stuff, but did not go for the lower-fat option]
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup honey
3 eggs
1 15-ounce can packed pumpkin (or 1 pound fresh pumpkin purée)
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted if desired

Heat oven to 350°. Place raisins and orange juice in a small bowl and microwave for 2 minutes; set aside. Grease muffin tins.

Combine flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in a large bowl and set aside. Combine margarine, brown sugar, honey, and eggs in a large bowl and mix well. Stir in pumpkin. Gently fold in dry ingredients, alternating with the raisin/juice mixture. Stir in the pecans.

Generously fill muffin tins. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes. (Bake baby muffins about 15 minutes.) Cool muffins in tins for 15 minutes, then remove from tins and serve warm, or let cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container for up to three days or freeze.

*Lower fat version: Simply omit 1/2 cup (1 stick) of the margarine or butter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

mango soba update