Chicken picadillo

I wrote on my blog earlier this week about how I had been inspired by a blog post I'd read in which the author used one chicken for 17 meals.
I roasted the chicken on Monday, and we each ate some -- 4 meals (3.5 really, Katie doesn't eat that much).
Tonight I made this recipe, which was really quick with leftover chicken -- 4 (3.5) meals. There are at least 2 portions left. We had it with Mexican rice and some black beans (cooked in the slow cooker today).
Tomorrow I'll be using the rest of the chicken for one more recipe -- 4 (3.5) more meals.
I also used the chicken carcass, plus a neck/back bone I had in the freezer, to make about 12 cups of chicken stock in the slow cooker yesterday.
But on with the recipe.

adapted (slightly) from Cooking Light

1 pound chicken
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup bottled salsa (I used some leftover Aunt Kinky's salsa, so I left out the garlic)
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted

Place chicken in a food processor; pulse until ground.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chicken, cumin, salt, cinnamon, and garlic. Stir in salsa. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in almonds right before serving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

mango soba update