noodles with mushrooms and lemon-ginger dressing

I started having doubts that I should try this recipe only after I was past the point of no return, and realizing I didn't have two of the four ingredients in the title (mushrooms and ginger). I also was not sure I was liking it... the lemon and the sesame oil smelled weird together, and I was annoyed at having to get out the immersion blender.

Yeah, that was crazy. This is definitely a different taste than what I'm used to, but it's really good. Unusual and lemon-ly delicious.

Lemon Ginger Dressing

  • 3/4 teaspoon Asian chlli powder (or cayenne) [I threw in thai-garlic chili sauce]
  • Grated zest of 1 lemon
  • 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 inch section of ginger, peeled and grated [I used about 1 t dried]
  • 1/4 cup rice vinegar [I didn't have this and just used a squirt of red-wine vinegar]
  • 1/3 cup soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil

The Noodles

  • 9 ounces dried noodles (spaghetti, linguine, udon, soba) [I used some sort of unmarked Asian noodles that were delicious]
  • 7 ounces fresh mushrooms (enoki, shimeji, sliced button, sliced shitake) [I used chard instead, plus garlic]
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons butter [omitted]
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh herbs (parsley, green onion, cilantro or basil) [I used parsley and green onion]
  • 1 tablespoon sesame seeds [I used Kelly's black and white ones!]

Method

1 Make the dressing by combining all ingredients, except for the sesame oil and olive oil in a food processor or hand blender. Run the blender for a few seconds, until all ingredients are combined. With the machine running, drizzle in the oils.

2 In a pot, cook the dried noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.

3 Heat a frying pan over high heat. Add the butter and when the butter starts bubbling, add the mushrooms. Saute the mushrooms for 2 minutes. [Instead, in this step, I chopped the stems of the chard very fine and sliced the leaves into ribbons. I sauteed the stems with a ton of chopped garlic and olive oil for about 5 minutes, then added the leaves for another 5 minutes.]

4 In a large bowl, toss the cooked noodles with the mushrooms, fresh herbs, sesame seeds and some of the dressing (to taste.)

Serves 4.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

mango soba update