Turkey Corn Chowder

Yesterday I went to a craft show at a fire hall in Lancaster Co. As I was leaving the house I said to Todd, "I bet they're going to have chicken corn soup for sale" and they did. It was really good, and I decided to try to make something similar at home today. I wanted something a little heartier, though, so I added some extra ingredients. I also wanted to use up some turkey I had in the fridge, and some turkey stock taking up room in the freezer. You could just as easily use chicken. I just made this up as I went along, so I'll do the best I can with the recipe.

2 Tbsp butter
2 med onions, diced
1 cup diced celery
diced peppers, your fave kind (if desired. I used some banana peppers)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 quart turkey stock
3 cups diced potatoes (I left skins on), divided
2 bay leaves
dried thyme
dried rosemary
4 turkey cutlets
1.5 cups diced carrots
1 can corn, drained
1 can creamed corn
pot pie noodles, or noodles of your choice (optional)
milk or cream, if desired

In a large Dutch oven, melt butter. Saute onion, celery, peppers and garlic until they begin to soften. Add turkey stock, about half of the potatoes, bay leaves, thyme and rosemary. Bring to a boil. Place turkey cutlets into the pot. Make sure the liquid covers the turkey. Reduce to a simmer, cover the pot, and cook until turkey cutlets are cooked through (this didn't take long - maybe 6-8 min?) Remove turkey cutlets to a cutting board and dice. Set turkey aside.

If the potatoes are not cooked through yet, continue cooking until potatoes are soft. Remove bay leaves. Using an immersion blender, blend everything in the pot. Add carrots and cook about 5 min. Add remaining potatoes. Add corn and creamed corn. I added a couple handfuls of pot pie noodles here and continued to cook about 12 minutes until noodles were cooked through. Add turkey back into the pot. Add some milk or cream if desired. Stir everything together.

Comments

gwen said…
Made this tonight for dinner and it is gooood.

I did it with chicken and chicken stock, and a green pepper. I accidentally added the carrots too early, with the rest of the veggies in the first step, so I just ground them up with the immersion blender and it was fine. I also left two of the chicken pieces in and blended them too -- also fine.

The soup is really thick and creamy without any dairy in it at all, and it tastes very genuinely Lancastrian. Yum!

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe