Rhubarb Crisp

From: Everyday Food (Martha Stewart)

I combined the fresh rhubarb from the farm share with some rhubarb I had in the freezer from last year's farm share (why didn't I use that earlier?) and made this recipe.  It was nice to find a recipe that just used rhubarb without requiring a complementary fruit.  I subbed Splenda for all of the sugar in this recipe and it worked well.  It came together very quickly, especially since I didn't use the food processor and just mixed the topping by hand in a bowl.  I have eaten it both for dessert and for breakfast this week. 

2 pounds rhubarb
1 1/2 cups sugar (I used Splenda)
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, chilled, cut into pieces
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Slice the rhubarb into uniform 3/4 inch pieces.  Place in a 9x13 baking dish; toss with 1 cup of the sugar and 1/4 cup of the flour.

In a food processor (I just used my fingers and mixed the ingredients in a bowl because I didn't feel like hauling out the mixer for this), pulse the remaining 1/2 cup flour with the butter until the clumps are pea-sized.  Add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar, rolled oats, and cinnamon.  Pulse just to combine.  Sprinkle over the rhubarb.

Bake until the rhubarb is tender and the topping is golden, approx 35 minutes. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

mango soba update