Rye Pizza Crust

I just scrolled back through my Facebook status updates because I foolishly posted this adaptation there instead of here, where it belongs. I'm hoping to decrease the rise time. I'll let you know how it goes.
If you have four minutes, I recommend (again) watching Bittman make his potato pizza. I find him hilarious. "No need to measure...glug, glug, glug, glug...That's it. You're in pizzaland. There's no better place to be."

I used Mark Bittman's basic pizza dough recipe from How to Cook Everything, but subbed 1C of rye flour. I only used the 1 t of yeast called for in the recipe, and the rye flour made it pretty dense so I coaxed and cajoled it through a daylong rise. It turned out to be a really nice texture though and I made the one ball into 3 smallish pizzas and baked each at 500 for about 8-10 min each. Fed the four of us.

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour (I subbed 1 C rye flour)
  • 1 teaspoon rapid-rise yeast (I'm going to guess that another 1/2 to 1 tsp will help the rise) 
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus an extra teaspoon

  • Bake at 450-500 for 6-10 minutes. Watch the baby.

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

    Pesto Tortellini Salad

    Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe