Pork Chops with Apple-Raisin Relish

This made a very easy and very tasty sauce for the pork chops I had in the freezer. I found it very simple to make, and I was easily able to substitute ingredients based on what I had in the kitchen.

* from The Healthy Cook

4 pork chops, trimmed of all visible fat
1/2 cup chopped sweet onions *
1/4 cup apple cider *
pinch of ground cinnamon
pinch of group nutmeg
2 large red or green cooking apples, diced
2 Tbsp golden raisins
2 tsp cider vinegar
1 tsp maple syrup
pinch of salt

Coat a large non-stick skillet with non-stick spray and wam over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Sear the pork chops for about 2 minutes per side, or until browned. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the chops have only a trace of pink in the center.

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the onions, cider, cinnamon and nutmeg. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Add the apples and raisins and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the vinegar, maple syrup and salt. Serve with the pork chops.

Variation:
Chicken thighs with onion-cranberry relish
Replace the pork chops with 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Replace raisins with 2 tbsp dried cranberries. Increase maple syrup to 2 tsp.

Notes
I didn't have any onions, so I used shallots instead. I also didn't have any apples cider, so I used apple juice. I probably used more than the recipe called for, but then I let it boil for a little while to reduce and concentrate the flavors a little bit, since apple juice isn't as flavorful as apple cider.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

mango soba update