Brownies with peppermint icing

So, Becky and I baked this weekend.
I'm always ambitious when I set out on a baking binge, and this weekend was no exception. And since I always like to try at least one new recipe, I carefully selected this one. What's not to love? Chocolate and peppermint are always good in my book.
Except, well...the tassie part didn't turn out. Good thing Becky was around, because we just improvised and it was well worth the little bit of extra time. These are my new favorite dessert.

Here is our version:

Get a brownie mix, whatever kind you like (We used a dark chocolate one). Mix the batter. Put into mini-muffin pans. Set the oven on the lowest setting called for on the box (ours was 325) and bake about 15 min, then check to see if they're done. (ours took about 17 min)
Cool brownie mini muffins.

Then prepare icing:

4 tablespoons butter, softened
7 ounce jar marshmallow creme
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1-2 tablespoons milk, divided

In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter, marshmallow creme and peppermint extract until smooth. Mix in 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar. Beat in 1 tablespoon milk. Add in the next 1 cup confectioners' sugar and mix until combined. Using a wooden spoon, mix in the final cup of confectioners' sugar. If this mixture is too thick to easily pipe, mix in 1 teaspoon of milk at a time until it reaches the desired consistency.
(next time I'm going to use 2 c. of sugar and see if I can get it the right consistency, without using the milk. if it's not stiff enough, I'll add more sugar)

Then pipe the icing onto the brownies. If you don't have a piping bag or decorator tool, put the icing in a ziploc bag, and cut the tip off. Instant piping bag. Top with crushed candy canes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe