jamaican curry

There is not really a recipe in this post, but I just wanted to share a food moment with folks I know would appreciate it. I am a big fan of ethnic food. I am a big fan of authenticity. This experience involves both in yummy doses.
My very very Jamaican neighbor, Grandma Gertrude, the wife of a man I know only as DaDa, is also the mother of 9 grown children, and grandmother of countless "cousins" who almost all live in our neighborhood. She and I got talking the other night about (what else?) food and cooking; we began discussing the differences between Indian and Jamaican curries. Her family brings curry and jerk seasonings back to the States from Jamaica when they or other family members go. She seemed shocked that I hadn't ever tried Jamaican curry and her descriptions made me eager to try it. Two nights later, she appeared on my doorstep with a small brown paper sack containing a slice of wedding cake from her niece's wedding and a bag of curry powder to do with as I pleased. And I did. And I loved it.
The cake, by the way, tastes very good. The curry, it is amazing. I just cooked some thin slices of chicken and red onion in olive oil and added about a tablespoon of curry. It turned everything golden yellow and smelled very turmericky. I put half of the chicken pieces on a Boboli pizza crust, and I've been eating the other half piece by piece because it's there and it's delicious.
It was so nice of Gertrude to share with me. I knew you guys would feel the love.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Am totally feeling the love (and wanting to try the curry!) Is it the kind of thing you could buy in an international grocery, or does it really seem one-of-a-kind? I have gotten v. lazy of late and only use curry paste from the jar, but this sounds like it would be worth going back to powder form.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe