Spiced Nuts

from Grazing by Julie Van Rosendale

1 Tbsp. olive oil or butter
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cayenne
1/2 Tbsp coarse sea salt
2 c. unsalted mixed nuts

Preheat oven to 325. Set a large saucepan over low heat and add oil and spices, except salt. Cook for a couple of minutes, until the spices begin to toast. Add the nuts and cook, stirring, until well coated.
Transfer nuts to a baking sheet and bake for 15 min, shaking the pan occasionally so that they will toast evenly. Toss with coarse salt and cool.

** My notes: I didn't have unsalted nuts (there's a really good Ann's House of Nuts warehouse by my office, and I can buy nuts in bulk for cheap, but the salted ones were cheaper), so I omitted the salt from the recipe. And I didn't use garlic salt, because I think granulated garlic tastes better. Also, I didn't add any of the chili powder and just a couple of dashes of the cayenne. But I have a 3-year-old that likes to eat everything, and isn't so sure about spicy yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe