Broiled (or grilled) whole red snapper

This is in Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything," which is a fantastic cookbook. I borrowed Gwen's for a few days, and had to go out and buy my own when I had to give hers back. I'm definitely a Bittman convert now.
Because Bittman has so many variations on his recipe, you can use this for any firm-fleshed fish. We had snapper in the freezer, so that's what I used. Don't be afraid of a whole fish -- the fish counter will clean it for you (have them scale it, take the head off, clean the inside out, but leave the skin) and it's very good.
Okay, the recipe. My note (addition) in parenthesis.

2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 white wine or dry sherry
salt and pepper
(granulated garlic)
rosemary (dried or fresh)


Mix the oil, white wine, salt and pepper and the garlic in a bowl. Put the fish in the marinade and let it sit in there (turn it over a few times) while you heat the broiler or the grill. (if you're using a broiler, oil the broiler pan a little before putting the fish on)
Sprinkle rosemary on top of fish, once it's on the broiler pan. Broil for 5-6 minutes on each side, basting with the marinade.

That's it, really. And it smells really good. Now, the skin will blacken in spots. That's okay, because you're probably just going to pull the skin off, right? (Ernie likes the skin, but Gaby and I do not)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bought two whole red snappers. Tried your recipe. It was good! Great alternative to frying. Thanks.
Ken Clark said…
Brace yourself! I am going to cook! I was attracted to two snappers at Costco--not as fresh as would be perfect--one eye is a bit sunken. But they smell OK. I found your recipe looking for something SIMPLE particularly since I have little experience BBQ'ing whole fish. There seem to be many recipes that would have me spend many hours finely chopping many many many herbs. I hope my wife is pleased.
Anonymous said…
The Greek recipe:
Marinate your red snaper for about 3 hours in a mix of good Olive oil (I buy HORIO) expensive but is worth it. squeeze a lemon,salt and pepper,and Oregano
Turn your broil into medium,place the fish into the baking pan.live each site about 10 minutes while you baste it,and after turn the broil to hi for about 3-4 minutes each site.When the fish is a little burn does not smell fishy any more.I do not like fishy fish

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe