Corn and crab chowder

I must admit I'm in a bit of a food rut these days -- it's easy to just throw together the same few dishes I know always turn out well. But it's boring, and I quickly get tired of cooking that way.
Last week I got myself out of the rut by making this soup, which was quick to pull together and pretty tasty.
In the coming weeks I'll be thumbing through my cookbooks (I got two new ones for Christmas this year) and challenging myself, once again, to try three new recipes a week. We'll see how it goes.
Where do you turn when you're in a food rut? (other than here, of course) Which blogs do you read to find inspiration?

This soup could easily be made without the crab, or you could substitute chicken, if you like, I think.

from Gourmet, January 2008

1 16-ounce bag frozen petite white corn (do not thaw), divided
1 cup low-fat (1%) milk
1 8-ounce bottle clam juice
4 tablespoons sliced green onions, divided
2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger, divided
4 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, divided
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
4 ounces cooked crabmeat, flaked

Reserve 1/4 cup corn. Bring remaining corn and milk to boil in medium saucepan. Cover; remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes. Puree mixture in blender. Add clam juice, 3 tablespoons green onions, and 1 teaspoon ginger; puree again until almost smooth. Return puree to saucepan; bring to simmer. Mix in 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
Melt butter in small skillet over medium heat. Add reserved 1/4 cup corn; sauté 1 minute. Add crab, 1 tablespoon green onions, 1 teaspoon ginger, and 3 teaspoons lemon juice; stir just until warm. Season with salt and pepper. Divide soup among bowls; mound crab mixture in center.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe