Monday, July 04, 2011

Alsatian Cabbage

In the last few weeks, I've gotten 5 heads of green cabbage from our little faux-CSA we are participating in. (It's through Whole Foods, and features all Maryland produce from various farms)
Yeah. That's a lot of cabbage.
Today I made this, which I will heat up and eat during the week. It's pretty tasty, and much, much more interesting than my standby -- boiled cabbage and butter.

Adapted from A Veggie Venture


1/8 pound of meaty bacon, chopped (I used pancetta, because I had some in the house)
1 small onion, chopped fine
1 cabbage (about 2 1/2 pounds), trimmed, outer leaves and core removed, sliced thin
1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds (I eyeballed this)
Salt & pepper

In a large skillet or Dutch oven (you'll need a cover), start cooking the bacon on MEDIUM. Add the onion as it's prepped, let cook 2 - 3 minutes. Add the caraway and let cook, 1 - 2 minutes. Add the cabbage as it's prepped, stirring well to coat with fat and caraway. Cover and let cook for about 30 minutes, stirring often. Season with salt and pepper.

2 comments:

gwen said...

I keep trying to make myself like cabbage... I like it when it's well disguised with a lot of dressing and other flavors (like in the mango slaw below), but uh. I don't know. It's not really my friend.

hefk said...

I love cabbage as slaw or pickled as sauerkraut. I also like it cooked with meat, like corned beef.

All of this just belies my heritage of hearty stock. I am Irish and British and German and, fittingly for your recipe, Shannon, I rely on the glamor of the family lore that my dad's last name might be Alsatian. No joke!