Avocado-Corn Chowder with Grilled Chicken

Adapted slightly from Mark Bittman in the latest issue of Cooking Light.

This is a no-cook (if you leave out the chx), easy and delicious soup that I plan to make again. Also, it keeps well due to the citrus content.

2 ripe avocados, divided
1.5 C water
1/2 C fresh lemon juice
1 t honey
S&P
1/4 t red pepper flakes
12 oz skinless, boneless chx breasts
olive oil or cooking spray
1.5 C fresh corn kernels (or some fresh and some frozen or all frozen--it's up to you)
1 C chopped red bell pepper
1/3 C chopped green onions (I used red onion b/c that's what I had)
1/4 C chopped fresh cilantro, optional
lime wedges

Using your blender or immersion blender, plunk one avocado, peeled and diced into your work bowl and add water, lemon juice, honey, 3/4 t salt, 1/4 t pepper and the red pepper flakes; blend until smooth or it's reached the desired consistency. I also added the kernels from 2 ears of corn I had on hand and pureed them with the avocado. Then I used frozen roasted corn that I defrosted to stir in at the end. Set soup aside in fridge to chill while you cook the chx.

Grill/bake the chx as you see fit. If you have a grill, have at it. I think the smoky chariness of grilled chicken goes really well with this soup. Let chx stand for 10 minutes before cutting or shredding into bite-sized pieces. Peel and dice remaining avocado and stir in with bell pepper, onions, and extra corn if using. Top with chicken and cilantro, if using, and serve with lime wedges. Serves 4.

Comments

gwen said…
YUUUUMMM! Every single recipe on this blog sounds perfect to me right now. I need some corn.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe