Chocolate Whoopie Pies

Here is a recipe in honor of the bride-to-be, Kel-baby and her wildly popular birthday whoopie "pile." Her pile included pumpkin and red velvet pies too - I'll be on the lookout for those recipes.

Rachel Keller's mom's Chocolate Whoopie Pies

2 cups sugar

1 cup shortening

1 cup cocoa

2 egg yolks and 2 whole eggs (save the egg whites for the filling)

2 teaspoons vanilla

1 cup sour milk or buttermilk

2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 cups flour

Cream sugar and shortening together in a large bowl. Add eggs and mix. Sift dry ingredients together and add to the creamed mixture alternatively with milk. Batter will be stiff. If it is too thin, add more flour. Drop by tablespoon onto greased sheets. Bake at 350 for 8 to 10 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the cookies comes out clean.

Filling:

2 egg whites

1 box 10X sugar

1 cup shortening

4 tablespoons milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

Beat egg whites till stiff. Add shortening and vanilla and blend. Add milk and then add the sugar. Beat until smooth. Spread some filling on the bottom side of one cookie; top with a second cookie. Repeat with the remaining cookies and filling. Store in the refrigerator or freezer. Yields approximately 5 dozen.

Note: You can buy a powdered buttermilk mix to make your own buttermilk or you can substitute 1 cup yogurt for either the buttermilk or sour milk. To make sour milk, place 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or vinegar) and fill with milk to make 1 cup. Let stand for 5 minutes.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
gwen said…
This is so funny -- Alissa and I were just looking at whoopie pie recipes to see if they had lard in them... shortening, yes, but no lard...
Unknown said…
I had no idea what whoopie pie was until I read Angie's blog earlier today.
Shortening, and lard, sort of terrify me. I try to stay away from them.
Kelly said…
Yes, but so very VERY good.

Yum!
Anonymous said…
Even as I was posting it, I thought to myself, this is one of those "I'll eat it and love it when someone else makes it - better not to know what might be in it" recipes. I knew we'd get going on the ingredients, but my next thought was "but it's a WHOOPIE PIE!!" Some things are outside the rules of reason...like whoopie pie gestalt.

What's the difference btwn shortening and lard?
Unknown said…
I've never actually had a whoopie pie, so I don't know this nirvana you all are speaking of.
I do know lard is rendered animal fat and shortening is vegetable fat. Of the two, I'd rather use shortening. Not, mind you, that I actually like either...but shortening makes oatmeal raisin cookies taste good.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe