moroccan chicken with chickpeas and cumin (crockpot)

From Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook. This is cooking as I speak, so I can't vouch for it yet, but it smells really good...

2 16-oz. cans of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 15-oz. can of whole plum tomatoes, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes (I just used diced)
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch squares
1 medium red onion, chopped
1/4 cup golden raisins
2 T tomato paste (I don't have any, so I just used juice from the tomatoes)
2 T water
1 1/2 t cumin
pinch of paprika
4 boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes (I used breasts)
2 T creamy peanut, almond or cashew butter

Put all ingredients except nut butter into slow cooker and stir well. Scatter chicken on top (I mixed it in). Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours until chicken is tender and cooked through.

Stir in nut butter. Serve hot over couscous, topped with cilantro.

Comments

Alissa said…
Mm. That sounds good.

And I just got that same cookbook for Christmas!
Anonymous said…
Did you? I've found the recipes a little spotty... some are good, but for whatever reason, the black bean soup I made from it is TOTALLY inedible. Don't try it.

Anyway, this turned out OK but not spectacular. There wasn't much liquid, and the chicken was kind of dry -- I would definitely line the bottom of the crockpot with the chicken pieces, like the way you do with Mexican chicken, instead of mixing it in. And I'd put more water or tomato juice in, as well.

Also, I was picking J. up at the airport and we didn't get back until after 10, and at that point I was so hungry I forgot to stir in the nut butter. :) Didn't need it, really -- the flavor was quite good. V. cumin-y.
Alissa said…
yeah, I've only made one recipe from that book so far, and it was just "eh". I think it was a potato soup recipe.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe