Black-Eyed Pea and Sausage Soup

from "More Slow Cooker Recipes," published by Betty Crocker (2004)

You'll need a slow cooker that holds 3.5-4 quarts.

2 cans (15-16 oz each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1 package (16 oz) smoked turkey kielbasa sausage, cut lengthwise in half and then sliced
4 medium carrots, chopped (2 cups)
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup uncooked wheat berries (couldn't find these, so we did it without them)
1 cup water
3 cans (14 oz) each beef broth (I used some low-sodium kind, some regular, it's what I had on hand)
2 cups shredded fresh spinach
1 tsp dried marjoram leaves (didn't have any, I used oregano)

Mix all ingredients except spinach and marjoram in slow cooker.

Cover and cook on low heat setting 8-9 hours or until wheat berries are tender.

Stir in spinach and marjoram. Cover and cook on low heat setting about 15 minutes or until spinach is tender.

Notes:
Like I mentioned above, I did without the wheat berries and substituted oregano for marjoram. I think if I'd had wheat berries, it would have thickened it up a little, which would have been nice. Even so, it turned out well. Good flavor combo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe