Cioppino

I got this from a slow cooker listserv I'm on. It was really good. I'm putting my notes in parenthesis.

INGREDIENTS:
a.. 1 large can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes with juice
b.. 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
c.. 1/2 cup chopped onion
d.. 1 cup dry white wine
e.. 1/3 cup olive oil
f.. 3 cloves garlic, minced
g.. 1/2 cup parsley, chopped (frankly, I use the dehydrated stuff on occasion)
h.. 1 green pepper, chopped
i.. 1 hot pepper (optional), chopped (we left this out)
j.. salt and pepper, to taste
k.. 1 teaspoon thyme
l.. 2 teaspoons basil
m.. 1 teaspoon oregano
n.. 1/2 teaspoon paprika
o.. 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I used some crushed red pepper flakes instead)
p.. water, if desired* (I didn't use any)
q..
r.. Seafood**
s.. 1 deboned (important) and cubed fillet of seabass, cod or other whitefish (I used halibut)
t.. 1 doz. prawns
u.. 1 doz. scallops
v.. 1 doz. mussels (omitted)
w.. 1 doz. clams (can use canned--I would recommend this, because I used the ones in the shell and it increases cooking time)

PREPARATION:
Place all ingredients in slow cooker except seafood. Cover and cook 6 to 8 hours on low. About 30 minutes before serving, add your seafood. Turn the heat up to HIGH and stir occasionally (but gently).
Serve with true sourdough bread if you can find it. By the way, don't be afraid to dunk your sourdough in the cioppino as it's considered perfectly good manners in this case.
*You can add water to the recipe to thin out the Cioppino somewhat but we prefer it nice and thick.
**Use your imagination and personal preferences as to which seafoods to add. Some choose to serve with fresh cracked crab when in season.

Comments

gwen said…
So you really put all that seafood in the crockpot and felt like it cooked all the way through? That might make me paranoid -- no problems when you did it?
Unknown said…
Yeah, we didn't have any problems. I'd use already shucked clams the next time, though, because it took longer than I expected.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe