curried mixed Indian veggies

A bit tricky, this one, because I started with this recipe but rapidly decided I didn't like it and went off on my own. I will try to recreate, though, because I'd like to be able to do it again.

I didn't measure any of the spices, and used way more than the recipe called for -- especially the cinnamon. I'm not sure why this recipe wants to be unnecessarily complicated and have you recreate curry by putting all the spices in yourself... I did it dutifully, but it was way too bland. I cheated and stirred in a big spoonful of curry paste in at the end.

Notes are in parentheses.
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil (I used olive, and probably more than 1 T)
  • 1 tbsp margarine (omitted)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 3/4 tsp turmeric
  • 2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 2 onions, diced
  • 4 tomatoes, chopped or one 12 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 3 carrots, sliced (I used more)
  • 1 cup peas (omitted; I added a lot of chopped broccoli instead)
  • 2 potatoes, chopped into one inch pieces (I only had one potato)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup water
  • (I also added a bunch of chopped raisins, a can of chickpeas, some celery and the curry paste)
Heat the oil over medium heat. Add garlic and all the spices and reduce heat to low. Cook for just one minute, stirring once or twice.

Add onions and sautee for 3 minutes, or until onions turn clear. (I bet chopped apples would also be good here.)

Add tomatoes, carrots, peas, potatoes, (celery,) salt and water. (I put the broccoli in at this step, but I should have waited longer so it didn't all fall apart.)

Cover your pan and allow to cook for about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are done, stirring occasionally. (I put in the chickpeas and raisins and just waited until they heated up, then stirred in the curry paste.) Serve over rice (or couscous).

Comments

Unknown said…
Do you think it would work just as well if I used the curry powder I have, that I love? Maybe doctor it up a bit with more ginger and cinnamon, instead of trying to recreate the curry spices?

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe