a call for chocolate cake

J. has requested a chocolate cake for his birthday next week, and I'm looking for a good recipe... I just paged through the ones on our site, and although I now am craving all things dessert, none of them are quite perfect. I want to do a full cake (not cupcakes), only chocolate (no mint or peanut butter anything) and something from scratch (not a mix, since I'm trying to be all fancy and "it's your birthday"-level special, which I recognize is kind of dumb since Becky's Triple Chocolate Cake is probably better than whatever I'll wind up making).

All that said, any ideas?

Comments

Becky said…
I'm always a fan of the Triple Chocolate Cake, but I understand wanting to make something more special.

Over the holidays, I made a chocolate cake, chocolate frosting, and chocolate ganache cake. It looked really impressive, especially since it had a chopped chocolate hazelnut bar on top.

The cake was a mix, but I think there might have been other stuff added to it. The frosting and ganache were from scratch, but I found the frosting to be a little grainy. The whole thing was topped off with chopped pieces of a chocolate hazelnut bar (though the recipe called for toffee, I couldn't find that in my crappy grocery store -- have they never heard of Skor bars?!?!).

Is that something along the lines of what you're looking for? I can dig up that recipe if you'd like, but I won't be able to post it until tonight at the earliest.
Unknown said…
How about a red velvet cake, which I believe is chocolate with red food coloring? Although, it doesn't have chocolate frosting on it.
Anonymous said…
Thanks, Becky -- I think Shannon actually sent me exactly what I was looking for, though.

It's this:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_22238,00.html?rsrc=search

and I'll let you know how it turns out...

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe