Maryland Crab Soup

This a recipe I copied from Isaac's soup recipe book before I quit working there many years ago and it has always been a favorite. Truly, the best soups I ever had were made there and I have yet to find a restaurant that makes such a great variety of tasty homemade soups.

This recipe has been adapted from the original 10 gallon version (that's right: 10 gallons)

1 large red pepper, medium chop
1 large green pepper, medium chop
2 medium onions, small chop
1 T olive oil
2 lbs. red fingerling potatoes
3 6 oz. cans of lump crab meat (if you can get it fresh, all the better, but if not, this works well)
3 large cloves garlic
1/2 C Old Bay seasoning
scant 1/4 C. crab base (if you can't find crab base and are using canned crab meat, reserve the juice from the crab and add to soup)
2 cans tomato sauce

Scrub potatoes and cut into 1 inch pieces. Cover with water and cook until almost done. Drain into a colander and reserve for later. In a large pot, add olive oil, onions and peppers. Once soft, add tomato sauce, garlic, crab base (or juice) and Old Bay and about 4 C of water (I don't measure this exactly, I just add water until it looks good). Add potatoes and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn down to a simmer and add crab meat. Stir carefully to prevent breaking up the crab too much. Simmer until potatoes are done. I like to serve this with a loaf of cheddar garlic bread from Big Sky Bread (or homemade if you have time). It makes enough for dinner plus a fe lunches and I even gave some to my in-laws and neighbors.

Comments

Alissa said…
Kel - What is crab base? Is it a liquid? Where would one typically find such a thing?
Anonymous said…
I have no idea what crab base is, but I love these Isaac's recipes... I have two of them in my recipe box that would make 10 gallons each too. Ha.
Kelly said…
It's a solid...I've never been able to find it anywhere outside of a food supplier and I think only restaurants and catering companies are able to order from places like that. A similar item might be found in the Asian food isle at the grocery, tho. I don't bother with it myself...maybe GFS carries it. I'll check it out and will report back.
Alissa said…
Ok, so... solid. I'm imagining something like Crisco now. Is that what you mean? Or is it a powder? I don't understand what to look for. We do have a huge Asian market...do you think it would be with something like Clam Juice? Sorry - I just totally do not understand what this is. :) Please post more Isaac's soup recipes, though, if you feel like it. I love their soups! You don't have one for their corn chowder, do you? I had that the last 2 times I was there and it was good.
Kelly said…
http://www.amazon.com/Minors-Crab-Base-16-oz/dp/B0001GUQ3Y

Something like this.

I'll post more recipes soon.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for this recipe Kelly. You wouldn't happen to have copied the pepper jack tomato soup recipe would you?
Carol

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe