Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake

From Paula Deen

Y'all, this is so good. Seriously. It's not low in fat but it doesn't matter--it's delicious. And it's holiday time. Yum!

Cake:
1 18 1/4 oz. box of yellow cake mix
1 stick butter, melted
1 egg

Filling:
1 15 oz. can pumpkin
1 8 oz. pkg cream cheese, softened
3 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1 stick butter, melted
1 16 oz. box of 10x sugar
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350. Combine ingredients for cake and pat into a lightly greased 13 x 9" pan. For filling: in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and pumpkin until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter, and beat together. Next, add the powdered sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and mix well. Spread pumpkin mixture over cake batter and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Make sure not to overbake as the center should be a little gooey.*

Serve with fresh whipped cream.

* I think I over-baked mine but it's easy to do b/c it's so wobbly when you check it at 40 and 50 minutes. I think an hour should do it and know that it will firm up a bit when it cools.

Comments

Alissa said…
Yeah, my dad made this a few years ago at Thanksgiving, and it was really good. I think I might have posted the recipe then, with a bunch of alternative additions to make different flavors... I'll search and see if I can find the alternatives. It was really good!
Unknown said…
Heh. I posted it a couple of years ago. You can make it with banana and pineapple too, I think.
Alissa said…
Ah. Yes. You did post it, Shannon. I just found it, and found my comment about my dad having made it the year before. :)

Here are the variations:
Variations: For a Pineapple Gooey Cake: Instead of the pumpkin, add a drained 20-ounce can of crushed pineapple to the cream cheese filling. Proceed as directed above.

For a Banana Gooey Cake: Prepare cream cheese filling as directed, beating in 2 ripe bananas instead of the pumpkin. Proceed as directed above.

For a Peanut Butter Gooey Cake: Use a chocolate cake mix. Add 1 cup creamy peanut butter to the cream cheese filling instead of the pumpkin. Proceed as directed above.
Kelly said…
Hee! I looked for it and didn't see it so obviously I didn't look hard enough. But I think it's good enough to warrant 2 postings:>

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe