Tres Leches Cake

A few days ago, I posted a request for a tres leches cake recipe. I ended up finding several recipes online, of varying degrees of difficulty, and chose one that wasn't too easy (used a box of cake mix) or difficult (had a meringue topping that required stovetop cooking).

Here's the recipe that I used: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1585317
I sprinkled the top with cinnamon, but I hear that fresh berries or caramel are also an acceptable garnish.

To answer hefk's question, I was making this for a friend's birthday. He's originally from Mexico. We were doing steak and chorizo tacos (with homemade corn tortillas!) at another friend's house, and we were on tap for dessert. Enrique asked for something "creamy but not too sweet" and mentioned tiramisu. Since tiramisu doesn't really fit the Mexican "theme," Geoff and I decided on tres leches cake, a Latin American (I believe it's originally Nicaraguan?) dessert.

Enrique really liked it...in fact, he took home about half of the leftover cake. Geoff and I finished up our leftovers last night, a full 4 days after the cake was baked and topped with the tres leches, and 3 days after I frosted it with whipped cream. It was even moister last night than it was on Saturday, since more of the milk had been absorbed.

All in all, I'd call this recipe a success. I'd definitely make it again!

Comments

Anonymous said…
That sounds awesome, Becky -- I had never heard of tres leches cake before, and now I want some...

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe