Wild mushroom soup

This is also from Susan Mendelson's "Mama Now Cooks Like This," which is becoming one of my favorite cookbooks. Everything I make from it is really good.
The first time we made this, I followed the recipe exactly as written, and it was fantastic. Last night, I forgot a step (Ernie had the sink taken apart and I was maneuvering around him), and I improvised and it still ended up being really good. I think you should follow the recipe, though.

6 c. mixed wild mushrooms (portobello, shiitake, oyster -- I also add some button mushrooms here), sliced
3 shallots, finely chopped (I added 2 cloves of garlic, also finely chopped)
2 Tbsp. butter (last night, I used olive oil. both seemed to work just fine)
8 Tbsp. flour
6 c. vegetable or chicken stock (we usually use chicken)
1 c. half and half
salt and pepper
cayenne
chives, freshly chopped

Mix mushrooms and shallots/garlic, and divide into 4 batches.
In a large pot with a wide bottom, sauté one batch of the mushrooms and shallots in 1/2 Tbsp. butter over high heat. When the mushrooms start to color, add another 1/2 Tbsp. butter and the second batch of mushrooms and shallots/garlic. Repeat two more times.
Remove 1 c. of the cooked mushrooms and shallots/garlic from the pot and set aside.
Add flour to the pot of remaining mushrooms; cook and stir over low heat until all the flour is absorbed.
Slow whisk in stock and bring to just a simmer.
Add half and half and return to a simmer. Puree with hand mixer, blender or food processor.
Season to taste with salt, pepper and cayenne. Stir in remaining mushrooms.
Garnish with chopped chives.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey Shannon, I'm so glad that you are enjoying my cookbook. There is one mistake in the book that I want you to know about. The Brook Sisters Flax and Spelt Oatmeal Chippers(p.242) is missing 1/2 tsp. baking soda in the recipe. The cookies are fantastic and super healthy so I hope that you haven't made them yet and been disappointed. I love to hear your comments so if you have any problems, let me know. Also, where did you get Mama Now Cooks Like This? Hope you have more fun and success with the recipes!

Susan Mendelson
Unknown said…
Hi Susan! I got your cookbook from my friend Tara, who lives in Richmond, B.C., for my birthday last year. We're really loving it, and it's food that even my sometimes-picky 5-year-old will eat.

I haven't made those cookies yet, but they are on my list to try, so I'll be sure to add the baking soda. Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe