Hush puppies

I started with this recipe, but then I tweaked it. I'll put my notes in parenthesis.

1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
1/2 cup grated onion (I did not use quite that much)
5 tablespoons buttermilk or 2 tablespoons skim milk (I used 5 Tbsp. milk)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons sugar (I used 1 Tbsp)
3 tablespoons self-rising flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 slices white bread, crumbled
2 tablespoons grated green bell pepper (I didn't have, so I didn't use)

Mix all ingredients together just until they are wet.
Refrigerate 30 minutes to 5 hours.
To cook, heat oil to about 350-375 degrees.
Dip a small spoon in cold water, then get a spoonful of batter, using the side of the bowl to "break-off" the spoonful of batter from the bowl.
Immediately submerge spoon in the hot oil for a few seconds until the Hush Puppy releases from the spoon. (This only sort of worked for me. I ended up pushing it off with my finger)
Repeat this process with each Hush Puppy, until you have 6 or 7 in the hot oil.
Do not crowd the"puppies", as you do not want to lower the temperature of the hot oil.
Getting the spoon wet between puppies is important, as it helps keep the batter from sticking to the spoon.
If your oil is the correct temperature, the hush puppies should be golden on the outside and cooked on the inside.
When golden on one side, if they automatically turn themselves over, you're cooking like a pro. If they don't give them a little nudge to make them turn over.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe