Flour tortillas

I got a sudden craving for Becky's Cuban Chicken Pizzas tonight and then realised that we didn't have any tortillas in the house, so I decided to make some. I found this recipe at Homesick Texan and it's adapted from The Border Cookbook by Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison. For some reason, I thought they were going to be difficult and time consuming to do, but they were so easy, and having fresh tortillas made the pizzas even more delicious.

Ingredients:
Two cups of all-purpose flour (can make them whole wheat by substituting one cup of whole-wheat flour for white flour)
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of vegetable oil
3/4 cups of warm milk


Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and oil. Slowly add the warm milk. Stir until a loose, sticky ball is formed.

Knead for two minutes on a floured surface. Dough should be firm and soft.

Place dough in a bowl and cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap for 20 minutes.

After the dough has rested, break off eight sections, roll them into balls in your hands, place on a plate (make sure they aren’t touching) and then cover balls with damp cloth or plastic wrap for 10 minutes. (It’s very important to let the dough rest, otherwise it will be like elastic and won’t roll out to a proper thickness and shape.)

After dough has rested, one at a time place a dough ball on a floured surface, pat it out into a four-inch circle, and then roll with a rolling pin from the center until it’s thin and about eight inches in diameter. Don’t over work the dough, or it’ll be stiff. Keep rolled-out tortillas covered until ready to cook.

In a dry iron skillet or comal heated on high, cook the tortilla about thirty seconds on each side. It should start to puff a bit when it’s done.

Keep cooked tortillas covered wrapped in a napkin until ready to eat.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yum, Kate!
Did you find that using veg oil worked well? a tortilla recipe I tried once upon a time used veg shortening, but I'd rather avoid that if possible.
Anonymous said…
I didn't have any problems with the veg oil - that's part of the reason why I went with this recipe. I'm not an expert on tortillas, but I thought they were delicious. And they were so easy, I'll definitely be making them again. I love wraps in the summer!
Anonymous said…
fantastic.

thanks for the feedback.

One of my students helped me pick out which comal to buy and I've used it all of once. Your post made me want to bust it out again!

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe