red lentil salad

My friend Mollie makes this fairly often, so I've eaten it a bunch of times but never made it myself. I think she can actually make it from memory, just by remembering that all the spices in the dressing start with C (like cookie), so if you just use every C spice on your spice rack, you're good to go...

Dressing:
1/2 C corn/veggie oil (I have found this to be a LITTLE much--especially if you cook the lentils a little too long, then they don't absorb as much, so I would use just UNDER 1/2 C)
1/4 C white wine vinegar
2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp curry
1/2 tsp cardamom

Other:
1 lb dried red lentils (~ 2 C dry)
1 C currants
1 C finely chopped red onion

(1) Whisk all dressing ingredients together

(2) Wash lentils and cook for ~3-5 min until JUST tender. Rinse and drain.

(3) Pour dressing over lentils and put in the fridge overnight, or at least 4-6 hrs.

(4) Add onions and currants and serve.

Comments

Anonymous said…
wow. yum.
must try immediately.
I have red lentils in the pantry, but they are for Sasha.
Who gets to eat?
America voted and...we'll tell you after the break.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe