Marinated zucchini

Last Friday Gaby spent the night at my grandmother's house, which meant I had the opportunity to make "grown-up" food...things I know she doesn't want to eat.
I consulted Mario Batali's "Molto Italiano," which is where this recipe comes from.
I have to say, it's a bit of work, but so, so worth it. It was good the night I made it, even better two days later.
Also, I need to wax poetic about my yellow squash and basil, both of which went into this recipe. Love, love having a garden.

1/4 c. olive oil (I used more than this, probably closer to 1/2 c. by the time I was finished)
3 medium zucchini, trimmed and cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices
3 medium yellow squash, trimmed and cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices
6 medium garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 c. fresh basil, cut into chiffonade
2 Tbsp. kosher salt
2 Tbsp. black pepper
1/4-1/2 c. red wine vinegar (I used closer to 1/2 c.)

Heat olive oil in sauté pan until just smoking. Working in batches, cook zucchini slices until golden brown on both sides. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
In a small bowl, combine garlic, red pepper, basil, salt and black pepper. Line the bottom of a deep pie dish (or a small baking pan, which is what I used) with 1/4 of the zucchini. Sprinkle with 1/4 of the herb mixture and drizzle some vinegar. Repeat.
Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
Serve chilled or at room temperature.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe