Citrus cornmeal cookies

This is the first of three bookmarked recipes I decided I was going to bake today. I need goodies to take to my brothers-in-law this weekend, and some for us to eat on our trip. Plus some others to mail to a certain someone.
In any case, I changed the citrus of choice from lemon to orange, because I had orange in the house. Orange is really good, I bet lemon will be, too. I'll try that sometime I've got a lemon in the fridge. These are quick to come together, and don't take too long to bake, either. And it only makes about 18 cookies, which means you aren't faced with dozens and dozens of cookies in your kitchen. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Adapted from a Poppytalk recipe

2/3 c all-purpose flour
1/4 c yellow cornmeal
2 T cornstarch
1/4 t salt
1/2 c unsalted butter, softened
1/3 c confectioners (icing) sugar
1/2 t pure vanilla extract
zest from 1 orange
Demerara sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350F. In a large bowl, blend together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in the vanilla and lemon zest and mix. In another bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, cornstarch and salt and whisk together. Slowly add in the dry ingredients into the butter/sugar mixture and stir until just combined.
Prepare your baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat, and using your hands, pinch off about a tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball. Press each ball with a fork and repeat, spacing each cookie about 1 inch apart. Sprinkle with demerara sugar and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the undersides of the cookie are slightly golden. Cool on wire racks. Makes 18 cookies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe