I've made this three or four times and finally have it the way I like it, I think. It's loosely based on this recipe from Gina's Skinny Taste, but there are a lot of modifications at this point... I'll still put her nutritional info at the end, but I'm not sure how valid it is any more.
- 1 package of low-fat chicken sausage, squeezed out of the casings
- a few splashes of olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 12 oz brussels sprouts, shredded [Wegmans sells these prepackaged, which is amazing; if you are starting with whole sprouts, just dice them them as finely as you can]
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced small
- 1 celery stalk, diced small
- other optional diced veggies: zucchini, yellow squash, spinach, red or green pepper
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- a few T oregano and/or herbs de provance
- pinch sugar
- pinch crushed red pepper
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 14 oz pasta of any kind you like
In a big skillet, heat some olive oil and saute brussels sprouts until they turn golden but are still crunchy, about 6 minutes. Put into a big bowl and set aside.
Heat a bit more olive oil and saute the chicken sausage, breaking it up as it cooks.
When it's cooked through, shove to the side of the pan and make a hole in the center. Add a little more olive oil and saute the garlic and onion. After a minute or two, add the rest of the veggies and mix everything together until it's beginning to get soft, about 5 minutes.
Add the crushed tomatoes, spices, sugar, and more pepper to taste. Reduce heat to low and simmer.
Meanwhile, put a large pot of salted water to boil and cook the pasta.
When it's done, drain and add to the brussels sprouts in the big bowl. Pour sauce all over it and serve with grated Parm.
Servings: 8 • Serving Size: about 1 3/4 cup • Old Points: 6 pts • Points+: 8 pts
Calories: 326.1 • Fat: 6.9 g • Protein: 15.7 g • Carb: 54.8 g • Fiber: 8.8 g • Sugar: 5.4 g
Sodium: 343.6 mg (without salt)