buttermilk roast chicken

Smitten Kitchen gets it right again. This is yum, particularly with that baked spinach that I've made three times in like two weeks.

2 cups buttermilk
5 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1 tablespoon table salt [there is much more explanation on her website about what kind of salt, etc.]
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 T paprika, plus extra for sprinkling
Lots of freshly ground black pepper
2 1/2 to 3 pounds chicken parts [I used three boneless skinless breasts]
Drizzle of olive oil
Flaked or coarse sea salt, to finish

To make the brine, whisk buttermilk with all ingredients up to the chicken in a bowl. Place chicken parts in a gallon-sized freezer bag [I used a lidded glass bowl] and pour buttermilk brine over them, then swish it around so that all parts are covered.

Refrigerate for at least 2 but preferably 24 and up to 48 hours.

When ready to roast, preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking dish with foil. Remove chicken from buttermilk brine and arrange in dish.

Drizzle lightly with olive oil, then sprinkle with additional paprika and sea salt to taste.

Roast for 30 minutes (for legs; approximately 35 to 40 for breasts), until brown and a bit scorched in spots. [The breasts I used were really thick [[I just tried to figure out a way to write that sentence that wasn't disgusting and I couldn't; ah yes]] so it took almost an entire hour, and I never got any scorched spots. Still delicious.]

Serve immediately.

Comments

hefk said…
I made this on Tues. We liked it too.
Kelly said…
I was planning to make it this week but I think I'm going to cheat and buy a pkg of chx thighs from TJ's.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe