Veggie and fruit challenge

If anyone is unaware, I can be a little bit obsessive. If I get a specific ingredient that I want to cook with, I'll often do nothing but cook with that ingredient for a week. If I decide I want to cut down on something, I usually just cut it out, like I recently did with soda. (aside from a slide while my parents were here) A few weeks ago, Gwen cut out Diet Coke and I cut out potato chips for a week, just to see if we could do it.
So on behalf of my obsession, Gwen and I are going to embark on a new "challenge" next week. We're going to eat the recommended daily allowance of fruits and vegetables each day for a week, starting next Monday. We'll be using the new food pyramid, which has been programmed with our own stats. And we'll be journaling how it goes (and what we're eating), on this site.
So bring on the vegetable and fruit recipes, because we're going to need them. And want to play along? Just edit the post I will start each evening (after dinner, around 7:30) to include your info. If I haven't started the post for the day, feel free to begin it yourself.
At the of the week, we'll assess the situation and see if maybe we want to add protein or dairy to the "challenge" and whether we're going to continue or not.

Nothing bad can come of eating more veggies and fruits, right?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ah, I do love a good challenge. I feel like I'm cheating a little for this part, because I usually get the right amount of fruit and veggies, but no harm in counting (and I've never measured anything in cups before, just servings, so that will be educational).

Once we get to the protein/dairy week -- then I will have some problems, but first bring on the veggies.
Alissa said…
ay. Yeah. Sigh. Count me in. I do not eat enough fruit and veggies.

This totally isn't a recipe, but this is one of my staples for getting fruits *and* dairy, almost every day. Since I pack my lunch and/or dinner most days, the night before, I take a small tupperware container, empty a lemon yogurt into the container, top it off with frozen raspberries, and put it in the fridge for the next day. The raspberries thaw overnight and the bright red juice swirls into the yogurt... it is so good, super cold, and very pretty to look at. I eat it almost every day, and when I take it to work or school, everyone oohs and ahhs over how pretty it is. Anyway... not a recipe, and it takes 2 seconds to prepare, but it helps me get one dairy and one fruit and I feel like I'm totally splurging. Sometimes if I'm *really* splurging, I'll top it with granola.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe