Apple-Cranberry (or Cherry) Crisp

From Weight Watchers
Aha! A new recipe from me, AND it's appropriate for the season! Huzzah!
I made this for an office brunch, and it got rave reviews. I used frozen cherries because I couldn't find cranberries yet, and it was quite tasty. Also, the recipe doubles well- just use a brownie/lasagna pan to bake.

1/2 c. quick-cooking rolled oats
4 T. packed light brown sugar
1 T. all-purpose flour
1 T. cold unsalted butter (I used more)
6 empire or other firm cooking apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
1 C. fresh or frozen cranberries
1-2 tsp corn starch (my own addition)
1 T fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 8-inch-square baking dish with nonstick spray. In a small bowl, combine oats, 2 T brown sugar, and flour. With 2 knives or your fingers, work in the butter until crumbly. In a large bowl, combine apples, cranberries, remaining 2 T brown sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg. Toss to combine. Spoon into pan. Sprinkle with oat mixture. Bake until filling is bubbly and topping is golden brown, 35-40 minutes.

*Note: I made this twice. The first time the final product was very liquidy. The second time, I sprinkled a little corn starch into the fruit mixture (maybe 1-2 tsp), and the fruit mixture came out thicker and held together well, more like a pie filling. I would recommend adding the corn starch.

Comments

Kelly said…
Seriously, WW? Who are you trying to kid with "1 Tbs butter"? As if. I am making this for dinner with friends tomorrow night and I used 4 Tbs! Still, less than the 1/2 lb. that Ina recommends. Love that Ina but that amount of butter seems obscene.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe