Eastern European red lentil soup

From Veg Times (thanks, Kel!) I am not sure exactly what's Eastern European about this -- it seems more Indian to me with the curry and the cumin, but whatever. It's savory and tangy and a little sweet. It also let me pretend it was fall for a night, even though it's almost 80 degrees here at the moment, which is hotter than it was during most of the summer. Again, whatever.

Also, I like thick soups and cut down on the amount of water -- I probably used 6 cups instead of 7, and my tomato didn't have as much liquid as a whole can of chopped tomatoes would. I didn't need to thin it out in the final step, either, although I probably will when we reheat the leftovers.

2 T olive oil
1 large red onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced (1 T)
1 1/2 red lentils
2 T ground cumin (I added some curry powder; the recipe notes say you can replace the supplement with curry, thyme or paprika)
1 15-oz can chopped tomatoes with liquid (I just chopped a leftover tomato from the garden)
1 T honey
3 bay leaves (I omitted)
1 T red wine vinegar
yogurt for garnish

1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in red lentils and spices, and cook 1 minute or until spices are fragrant and lentils are coated in oil. Stir in tomatoes with liquid, honey, bay leaves and 7 c water. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.

2. Cover pan, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer 20 minutes, or until lentils are soft and falling apart and soup is thick. Add a little water to thin soup, if necessary. Remove bay leaves, stir in vinegar, and serve with dollops of yogurt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe