Peach & Blueberry Kuchen

I don't know about you, but even here in sunny CA, it's starting to feel a bit like fall and I started to panic about the fact that I still haven't made any of my summertime favorites. You know, caprese salads and proper desserts made with stone fruit (baked peaches served with yogurt hardly count in my book). I found this recipe in a book called "Simply in Season" and it breaks down recipes by season and category. Thanks to Alissa for this great gift; I find myself consulting it often.

Also, this recipe is only 232 kcals and 3 grams of fiber per serving. Serves 8.

3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup AP flour
2 tbs sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup ground walnuts (optional--I didn't do it)
1/4 cup unsalted butter
4 cups peach slices (or halves, I did slices and I didn't bother to peel them)
1 cup blueberries (can substitute all the peaches for 3 cups blueberries)
3 tbs sugar (I used brown sugar here)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup yogurt or sour cream (fat-free greek worked well here)
1 egg, beaten
2 tbs sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven at 400 degrees. Prepare an 8x8 baking dish or pie plate or iron skillet (that's what I used) by spraying just the sides with cooking spray.

In a bowl, combine ingredients from flour to butter and cut in butter until mixture resembles sand. Press into baking dish and layer peach slices on top. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture and top with blueberries. Bake for 15 minutes.

Combine remaining ingredients from yogurt to vanilla. After peaches have baked for 15 minutes, pour over and return to oven for 30 minutes or until set. Next time I make this I will try to cut back on the sugar a bit. I used really ripe white nectarines and they probably didn't need the added sweetness. I don't think I would eliminate any from the crust, tho.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe