Crab and corn slowcooker soup

I doubled this recipe, so that it would fill the slow cooker I've got. Also, Ernie said he would suggest adding some potato to it the next time, so bear that in mind. I didn't try it (I was eating clam chowder), but Gaby devoured hers.

from A Year of Slow Cooking

1 quart chicken broth (4 cups!)
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup finely chopped onion, or 1 tablespoon dried minced onion flakes
1 (32-ounce) package of frozen corn
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 (6-ounce) can lump crabmeat, drained and picked throug
1 cup half and half or heavy cream (to add later)

Use a 4-quart slow cooker. Pour the broth into your crockpot, and add butter and onion. Stir in frozen corn, garlic, butter, and the crabmeat (make sure you pick through canned crab---shells often occur!) Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, high for 4 hours, or until the onion is cooked through and translucent. If you'd like a thicker broth, pulse a few times with an immersible blender, or scoop out a cup or so and blend in a traditional stand blender, then stir it back in (carefully!).
Add half and half or cream.

Comments

gwen said…
So, I have always been unnecessarily frightened of crab in a can. Like, for no reason, but also a lot. Do you think this would work with some kind of fish or something? Would it be OK to leave fish in a relatively low-temp heating situation for multiple hours?
Alissa said…
Gwen - is this the same issue you have with tuna in a can? That phobia is holding you back from a lot of delicious food. :) I think the crab probably works well with the corn because of the sweetness of the crab. I don't think you would get the same result with fish. BUT, you might be able to find fresh crabmeat in a plastic deli-type container at your grocery store seafood department.
Unknown said…
Honestly, it didn't even occur to me to use the crab in the can that is near the tuna.
I went straight for the seafood counter, used the stuff that is fresh, just already picked for you. No need to be afraid of that, Gwen, it's just the crabmeat without the work.
gwen said…
Heh. I was about to say that no, the thing about tuna in the can is about how horrible it smells (and I'm sorry but I am never revising my opinion that food should not smell like that. I will occasionally eat tuna fish in a restaurant or that someone else has made, but I am not opening those cans myself.)

But now I'm thinking maybe I just don't like seafood or meat in cans. And now Shannon has given me permission not to worry about it and buy the fresh stuff!
Arnie said…
Wow!Best soup ever!

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe