Cheese potato puff with dried mushrooms

We haven't been doing a lot of testing new recipes lately, but I did make this one a few weeks ago -- and it was so, so good. Full of carbs and cheese. Doesn't get any better than that.


Adapted from Lisa's Kitchen

9 large potatoes, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons of sea salt
3/4 cup of butter
2 (or 3) cups of extra old cheddar cheese, shredded
28 grams of dried mushrooms (I doubled this, actually, because Ernie loves mushrooms)
1 cup of milk
a scoop of sour cream
2 large eggs, beaten
some granulated garlic
1/2-1 cup of Parmesan cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon of fresh chives, finely chopped

Grease a large casserole dish with butter.
In a large pot, boil the potatoes, along with 1 teaspoon of salt until they are fork tender. Drain well, transfer to a large bowl and mash.
While the potatoes are cooking, soak the dried mushrooms in hot water for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Heat the butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add the cheddar cheese, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, mushrooms and milk. Simmer until smooth. Fold into the potatoes along with the sour cream and beaten eggs.
Transfer to the prepared casserole dish and sprinkle with half of the chives and Parmesan. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven, uncovered, for 40 - 50 minutes or until puffy and nicely browned on top. Garnish with the remaining Parmesan and chives and serve hot.

Comments

Alissa said…
Several things:
1) that blog where you got the recipe is just what I needed - I have been eating vegetarian for about a month now (there is an end is sight!) and I am reaching the point where I am feeling bereft of good ideas.

2) what does "extra old" cheddar mean? Sharp?

Thanks! My busy family-on-the-go will love this nutrious dish. Yum! ;)
Unknown said…
I didn't even notice the "extra old" cheddar thing -- I just used some extra sharp cheddar and that seemed fine to me. :)

I hope you and your family enjoy this nutrious dish, Alissa! I know you go looking for recipes and this is the first blog to come up!
LJ Ruth said…
Try this recipe with the Organic Mushroom Medley from www.fungusamongus.com. Delish!

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe