carrot soup with miso and sesame

Oh Smitten, what a great recipe. If this soup doesn't cure what ails ya, I don't know what would. You food goodness folks already know that I've recently owned my new persona as the lady who pushes soup on people who sniffle in my presence. This soup is so so delicious and so pretty and orange.

Downside: My husband, he no like (ginger is not his preferred flavor). My kids, they no like either (It is actually downright spicy, not hot, but very zingy with all the garlic and ginger).

I like. so. much.

Soup

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds carrots, peeled, thinly sliced
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 regular or 6 small garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1 tablespoon finely chopped or grated ginger, or more to taste (it could easily be doubled)
4 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup white miso paste, or more to taste [I accidentally bought red but it was so tasty. yuh-hum!]

To finish
Drizzle of toasted sesame oil [DO THIS.]
2 scallions, very thinly sliced [as much as I like scallions and as pretty as it looked, the oniony taste took over too much so I'd prob skip, or use some chives]

Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add carrots, onion and garlic sauté until onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Add broth and ginger. Cover and simmer until carrots are tender when pierced, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.

Puree soup in batches in blender, or all at once with an immersion blender. In a small bowl, whisk together the miso an a half-cup of the soup. Stir the mixture back into the pot of soup. Taste the soup and season with salt, pepper or additional miso to taste.

Ladle into bowls and garnish each with a drizzle of sesame oil and small mound of scallions.

Pickled scallions? I didn’t do this in the end, but was tempted to lightly pickled the scallions by letting them hang out in a mixture of 6 tablespoons rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons water, 1 tablespoon of Kosher salt (I use Diamond brand, use less if you’re using Morton or another, which are more dense) and 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar for a while before using them as garnish.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe