Split Pea Soup

From: Gina's Skinny Recipes

I actually made this in a crock pot.  The soup was really good, but I think if I made it again I would do it on the stove-top, or at least add a little less liquid.  I'm not great at translating stove-top to crockpot.  Anyway, it's still really good and I'll definitely eat it all week.  Todd said that it was better than the Au B0n Pain split pea soup he often gets at the cafe at his job, so I know he liked it, too.  This was just a little liquidy, whereas I think of split pea soup being a thicker soup.   the recipe below is for the stove-top version.  If you want to try it in the crockpot, I would suggest decreasing the liquid by a cup or two.  I did 6 hours on high and everything was pretty mushy.  I would probably do 8 hours on low next time?  I don't know.  I would have to play around with it a little.  Again, though, it's still really good and we'll gobble it all up this week.  Apparently you could also use a smoked turkey wing in place of the ham hock if you don't eat ham, but I have never tried that.

Ingredients: 
16 oz bag of dried split peas
1 medium chopped onion
1 garlic clove or more if you like more garlic, use 2-3 cloves of garlic
8 cups fat-free chicken broth (use less if using crockpot)
2 tsp of olive oil
2 large carrots - chopped
salt and pepper, to taste (I did not add any salt - it was salty enough from the broth and ham hock)
1 ham hock

Directions:
Wash peas and drain them. In a pot, saute onions and garlic in about 2 tsp of oil.

Add peas, carrots, ham hock and your chicken stock, then cover the pot and let it come to a boil. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Once it boils
you can reduce heat and cook for about two hours (beans should be very soft by then). Make sure to check the water and consistency. You may need to add hot water if it becomes too thick.
Remove ham hock and serve. You can pull any remaining meat off the bone and add it to the soup if you want.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe