muesli

I love me some muesli. This recipe was a good starting place... I made some modifications below. Warning: It makes a TON -- J & I both ate it for breakfast several days in a row. 
 
The recipe thinks it only lasts 2 or 3 days, but I may or may not have eaten it an entire week after I made it and it was still fine.
  • 3 cups whole milk (I used low-fat)
  • 2 cups plain whole yogurt (I used some of TJ's vanana yogurt)
  • 1 cup apple, skin on, grated (2 apples)
  • 3/4 cup yellow raisins (I added some dried cranberries too)
  • 1 ripe banana, sliced (I skipped because I thought it would make the muesli go bad too quickly)
  • 9 tbsp cracked wheat or bulgar wheat (I used bulgar. warning: do not toast this... I stuck it in the toaster because I'd already mixed it with the next two ingredients, but it burned a bit.)
  • 9 tbsp rolled oats, toasted
  • 9 tbsp wheat germ, toasted
  • 1/4 cup honey (I skipped because the yogurt was sweet... but I do think this mixture needs a little sweetness to it or else it would resemble very hearty brick mortar)
  • 1/4 cup dates, chopped (6 dates)
  • 2 tbsp flax seeds, ground
  • 2 tbsp millet
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds or poppy seeds (I skipped this)
  • pinch of kosher salt (I skipped this too because it didn't make sense to me)
  • seasonal fresh fruit for topping (you don't really need this)
Stir everything together in a large mixing bowl. Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.

Comments

hefk said…
I trust you and I have eaten breakfast made by you.
I am surprised and perplexed by this recipe. I thought muesli was the dry stuff. This has it all.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe