Slow Cooker Chocolate Chicken Mole


I am putting this on here because the flavors were amazing, though I will have to try again before I get the chicken right. My chicken was a little dry. I removed the cooked chicken to shred it. I mixed up the very thick sauce and added a little water to improve the texture. I added the chicken back into the sauce and combined everything together, It made delicious chicken quesadillas.

Source: Rubies and Radishes by way of Our Life in Food by way of friend and fellow lover of slow cookers, Michele.

Butter
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 lbs chicken (Recipe calls for boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Mine turned out kind of dry, so I might try thighs next time.)
Kosher salt and black pepper

1 28 oz or 2 16 oz cans, fire-roasted tomatoes (note that this is a big can)
5 dried New Mexico chiles, stems and seeds removed and chopped into small pieces (I used a can of green chiles)
1/4 cup almond butter (oh yum -- so expensive and so delicious)
2.5 oz dark chocolate (the darkest)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
Avocado, cilantro, and jalapeno, for garnish

(Note: I totally skipped steps 1 & 2 and it was apparent. I will continue to skip these and instead find a faster way to keep the chicken moist)
1. Add a pat of butter to a saute pan over medium heat. Saute the onions until softened, and then add the garlic. Stir to combine, and transfer the mixture to the slow cooker.
2. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the saute pan, and brown on all sides.
3. Place the chicken in the slow cooker. Add the tomatoes, chiles, almond butter, chocolate, cumin, salt, cinnamon, and chili powder to the slow cooker. Mix everything together well, making sure that the chicken is nestled down under the sauce.
4. Cook for 4-6 hours on low. (Mine cooked for 8)
5. Serve garnished with avocado, cilantro, and jalapeno.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe