Chicken with Sourdough Mushroom Stuffing

*Crockpot recipe courtesy of Better Homes & Gardens

Ingredients:
2Tbsp finely shredded lemon peel
1Tbsp ground sage
1Tbsp seasoned salt
1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
8 small chicken legs, thighs, or 4 combination leg-thigh pieces
1/4 c. butter
4 c. quartered or sliced mushrooms (any kind)
2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
sourdough baguette cut into cubes (approximately 8 cups)
1 c. shredded carrots
1 c. chicken broth
1/4 c. chopped and toasted walnuts (optional garnish)
3 Tbsp chopped flat leaf Italian parsley (optional garnish)

Lightly coat the inside of a 5 1/2 - 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Reserve 1 tsp of the lemon peel. In a small bowl combine the remaining lemon peel, sage, seasoned salt, and pepper. Remove 3/4 of the mixture and rub on the chicken pieces. Place the chicken into the slow cooker.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet and add the mushrooms and garlic. Cook and stir for 3 - 5 minutes or until just tender. Stire in the remaining sage mixture. Transfer the mushrooms into a large bowl. Add the bread cubes and shredded carrot. Drizzle with the chicken broth and toss gently. Lightly pack the stuffing on top of the chicken. Cover and cook on high setting for 4 - 5 hours.
When cooked, transfer to a platter. Garnish with remaining lemon peel, walnuts, and parsley. Makes 8 servings.

Comments

Unknown said…
I made this yesterday for dinner, and Ernie liked it, but neither Gaby or I did. It was a little too salty for our tastes, and I thought the stuffing was a little wetter than I like it. I'm not sure I'll make this one again.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
Hi Ainsley
Look, I hope you don't mind, but I found your blog using salmon as a search term. I'm trying to find original articles and recipes for my cooking websites.

I can and do use the article directories, but much of the stuff in them is hardly original and gets widely used. I'm hoping to persuade people like you, who have an interest in cooking, to contribute as well. I use a wide variety of articles and styles - just so long as it's food orientated - and I think the kind of things you write about in Chicken with Sourdough Mushroom Stuffing would be very popular :0)

The quid pro quo is a link back to your blog - or website if you have one. If this doesn't interest you, please forgive the intrusion. If it does, I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes
Michael Sheridan

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe