Beets

So, I know I'm the only person I know who likes beets, but it's the season for the things and I've been craving them.
Tonight I steamed a bunch (just wash, trim the tops and bottoms, cut in half, and put in the steamer), and tomorrow when they're cooled, I'll make a salad:

Beets, peeled and sliced thin (the skin will just rub right off after they've been steamed)
Drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and just a little lime or lemon juice (I prefer lime)
Salt and pepper to taste
Toss to coat

I still can't find my salt and pepper shakers, but I do have some in the cabinent, so I'll quit being lazy and start cooking for reals now.
Anyone else eat beets? How do you cook them? You can also roast the greens of the beets, they taste a little like kale and are good with white beans, tomatoes and onions, all roasted together. C'mon...someone out there has to like fresh beets...they're good for you...and they turn your fingers pink (and it's natural, unlike marachino cherries)...and they make you pee pink, too, if you eat a bunch. Gaby loves that.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You are, in fact, the only person I know who likes beets. :)
Anonymous said…
untrue, grg. I also like beets - I am acually in awe of them in all their puce-ness and the ease with which they slip out of their skin when steamed or boiled.
can't say I've ever eaten the leaves.
Anonymous said…
when you say "put in the steamer" do you mean (I hope)your rice maker with water and the steam rack in the bottom? I've only ever had boiled beets. (and grg's mom's borscht!)
Unknown said…
I've got a steamr insert that goes in the top of one of my sauce pans...the beets never touch the water. I also use the steamer for just about any veggie...it keeps the vitamins from leeching out the way they do when you boil them.
Beets (or whatever) go in the steamer, which goes on the top of a pot of water. Put the lid on and boil.
Unknown said…
Roasted, though, is my favorite way. In the oven at 375 until they get soft, then the skin comes off and you can do whatever to them. Drizzle a little olive oil before putting them in the oven, though.
Anonymous said…
Hello shannon, been looking for the latest info on staph and found Beets. Though not exactly what I was searching for, it did get my attention. Interesting post, thanks for a great read.
Anonymous said…
John said..

How do you can beets?

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe