Carrot Soup with Honey and Nutmeg

From Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook

I made a lot of modifications to this recipe, which I will list at the bottom.

Serves 8. Use large crockpot.
1/4 cup olive oil
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
2 large russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
3 pounds carrots (about 15 medium sized), scrubbed, tops cut off, chopped
1 or 2 small cloves garlic, pressed
1/2 tsp each dried thyme and marjoram, or 1 tsp Spike natural salt-free seasoning
4 to 6 cups water or chicken broth, as needed
2 heaping tablespoons honey
1/2 to 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
sea salt and freshly group black pepper, to taste
chopped cilantro and plain yogurt to garnish (Optional)

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft, 6-8 minutes, stirring often to cook evenly. Put the potatoes, carrots, garlic and herbs in the slow cooker. Add the onions and oil, scraping them out of the pan. Add enough water or chicken broth to cover everything. Cover and cook on High for 1 hour. Turn the cooker to Low and cook until vegetables are soft, 5-7 hours. Puree in batches in a food processor, or right in the crockpot with an immersion blender. The soup will be thick. Stir in the honey and grate the nutmeg right over the crock. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm on Low without letting it boil until you serve it.

*The book recommends buying carrots with the tops still on, because they will be sweeter. I used 2 bags of peeled baby carrots because that's what I had in the fridge.

Also, I halved the recipe because the recipe as written requires a large crockpot, and I did not think the whole recipe would fit in mine.

I thought the recipe as written was a little bland, so I added to it as I went along. I added some garlic powder at the end, as well as a little more honey, and some cinnamon. I also stirred in some milk, because I like my carrot soup creamier. I tried adding a bit of yogurt to one of my servings, and I liked the creamier texture, but I wasn't sure I liked the flavor of the yogurt.

Next time, I think I will eliminate the thyme and marjoram and try adding fresh ginger instead. I think you could experiment with a lot of different flavors with this basic recipe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe