Crockpot oatmeal

My friend Tara sent me this recipe a long time ago. I'm finally going to try it this weekend.

2 C milk
1/4 C brown sugar
1 T butter, melted
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 C old-fashioned oats
1 C chopped apple
1/2 C raisins or dates
1/2 C chopped walnuts or sliced almonds

Makes 4 cups (6-8 servings)

Grease the inside of crockpot. Put ingredients inside crockpot and mix well, cover and turn on low heat. Cook overnight or 8-9 hours.
This keeps well in the fridge in a tupperware, and can be reheated again. Just add milk if it starts to thicken too much.
I have changed the ingredients up as well, to coincide with what I happen to have on hand.

Comments

gwen said…
I am so making this tomorrow. The crockpot and oatmeal are, like, my two favorite things in the entire world. :)
Alissa said…
I made this, and it was very good. However, I think the cooking time is WAY too long. I had it on low, and when I looked at it at 5 hours it looked completely done. I left it on longer because of the instructions, and at 6 hours th edges were burned and I had to soak the crockpot for ages to get it clean.
Unknown said…
Hrm. We made it and I didn't have that problem...I did use old fashioned (not quick cooking) oats, though, because that's what I had in the house. Maybe that made a difference?
Alissa said…
I don't know. Maybe? Gwen said hers burned, too, but I don't know what kind of oats she used....
Alissa said…
ok. I made this recipe again and I used old fashioned, not quick-cooking oats, and it did not burn like the first time.

So, I think the recipe should be for old-fashioned oats, or else reduce the cooking time drastically.

It was much better the second time around. :)
Unknown said…
I'm going to change it to old-fashioned oats. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe