Zucchini Risotto with Sun-Dried Tomatoes

From: Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook

Hey! I finally cooked something again that turned out good! This dish was very tasty. It was written as a vegetarian main dish, but I think it would also be very good as a side dish.

3 1/2 cups vegetable stock or reduced-sodium broth
1/2 cup tomato juice
1 Tbsp olive oil
6 shallots, finely chopped
4 medium zucchini, chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 1/3 cups arborio rice
16 sun-dried tomato halves, finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh marjoram, or 1/2 tsp dried
2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
chopped fresh parsley to garnish

In medium saucepan, combine the stock and tomato juice: Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer.

In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Saute the shallots until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the zucchini and wine. Cook until the zucchini is softened, about 5 minutes. Add the rice. Cook, stirring about 1 minute.

Add 1 cup of the stock mixture, sun-dried tomatoes, parsley and marjoram. Cook, stirring, until the liquid is absorbed. Continue adding stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until the stock is absorbed before adding more, until the rice is just tender. Total cooking time should be about 25-30 minutes. Stir in the cheese and pepper. Serve at once, garnished with parsley.

Makes 4 entree servings, 1 1/2 cups each (7pts), or more servings as a side dish.

** Notes: I didn't have any marjoram, so I used thyme instead. Also, I didn't want to open a whole bottle of wine to use 1/2 cup, so I just used 1/2 cup of vegetable stock instead of the wine. The flavor was still very good.

Comments

Anonymous said…
OK, can someone explain what the deal is with shallots? Are they really so different than onions, and is it worth using whichever one the recipe calls for?
Alissa said…
Um, I don't know. If I don't have what it calls for, I usually just substitute. I do happen to think that shallots have a somewhat different flavor than onions... and that different onions have a slightly different flavor from other types of onions. But I'm sure it doesn't matter very much for this recipe.
Becky said…
Did I miss zucchini in the list of ingredients? Am I supposed to use a full one, or just part of one? Slice it? Dice it? Cook it whole? Do something else?

Apologies if I'm blind, just point me to the right place. Thanks.
Alissa said…
What? You actually want zucchini in your zucchini risotto? Sheesh. Some people.

Yeah, um, I forgot to type that line in. Sorry! It's there now. 4 medium zucchini, chopped. I just quartered mine lenthwise, then sliced into bite-sized pieces.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe