Toasted garlic and sweet pea pasta

I feel like I go through these phases where I don't want to cook, much less eat, anything new...and then I get tired of our tried and trues and we branch out into new things.
I happened to pick up a cookbook last night and it opened to this recipe. As luck would have it, I had all these things on hand, and they made a tasty dinner. And it was quick.
By the way, I'm still looking for recipes for Friday night. I'm going to thumb through some cookbooks tonight.

from Rachel Ray's Express Lane Meals

1 pound long-cut pasta, whatever you have in the pantry
1/4 to 1/3 c. extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
5 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 large onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. dried thyme (I eyeballed it)
black pepper
3/4 c. dry white wine
2 c. chicken stock
2 10-oz boxes frozen peas
1/2 c. fresh parsley
1 c. grated Parm or Romano cheese

Place a large pot of water with a tight-fitting lid over high heat and brign to a boil. Cook according to package directions until al dente. Right before draining, remove 1/2 c. of the starchy cooking water
While the water is coming to a boil, heat up the EVOO and the sliced garlic in a large skillet (I used a dutch oven, actually). Spread the garlic in an even layer and keep an eye on it...it goes from brown to burnt really quickly. Once the garlic is toasty brown, remove from oil.
Turn up the heat under the oil to medium high and add onion, red pepper flakes, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, about 5 min, until the onions become tender and lightly browned. Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add the chicken stock and cook for another 2 min. Add the peas and the cooking water from the pasta, and bring sauce back to a boil. With the back of the spoon, mash half the peas. Add the parsley and garlic slices, stir and taste. Add pasta and toss to coat in sauce. Stir in the cheese, then transfer to serving plates. Pass extra cheese at the table.

**My notes -- I thought the sauce was too watery. Next time, I'd cut down the amount of chicken broth, or leave the wine out altogether. Also, I blended the peas with my imersion blender, but Ernie said he thought they'd have been fine without mashing or blending...and I like my peas to have shape, but I think she intended them to be mushy, hence the mashing. You decide which you like better. We'll be eating this again, I know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe