Butternut Squash Apple Soup

From Simply Recipes

1 yellow onion, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 Tbsp butter
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, chopped
1 tart green apple, peeled, cored, chopped
(squash and apple should be 3 to 1 ratio)
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
pinches of nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and pepper

* I added some maple syrup at the end, too, to add a little more flavor and some sweetness
* I was wondering how this would turn out by using half chicken stock and half milk... I like my butternut squash soups to be creamy.... I might try it that way next time.

Combine butter, onion, celery and carrot in large saucepan. Cook for 5 minutes. Add squash, apple and broth. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes or until squash is soft. Puree. Add spices to taste.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I made this yesterday, and: YUM. Alissa, I tried your suggestion and put in some milk, although I think I actually used the same amount of vegetable stock that the recipe called for (didn't exactly measure any of this stuff, which was another reason I liked this recipe).

I stirred the milk in at the end, and it made the texture much creamier but thinner -- more soup-like than mush-like. I also put in a bit of maple syrup and sprinked cinnamon on the tops of the bowls. Really delicious.

One other note: I was using up the one and only butternut squash from our farm share, and it was both tiny and kind of past its prime. I added another apple to make up for it, and I'd say the squash-to-apple ratio was probably 1:1. The squash was still dominant, but you could definitely taste apple too.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe