Spicy grits with chorizo, leeks, and corn

from Real Simple, September 2007

Geoff and I really liked the flavors of this dish. It also had a nice fall color, and was pretty hearty. Not a great dish for summer perhaps, but fabulous for fall. Yum!

8 ounces Spanish chorizo (cured sausage), sliced 1/4 inch thick
3 leeks (white and light green parts), thinly sliced*
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, including liquid
kosher salt and pepper
1/2 cup grits or polenta
2 cups fresh corn kernels (from 4 ears) or frozen corn, thawed
1 large bunch spinach, tough stems removed

Cook the chorizo over medium-high heat in a large saucepan (we used a 5-qt stockpot, it was plenty big) until browned, about 3 minutes. Spoon off and discard any fat.

Add the leeks and garlic and cook, stirring until slightly soft, about 2 minutes.

Add the tomatoes and their liquid, 2 cups water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil.

Stir in the grits. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, until the grits are tender and slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.

Add the corn and spinach and cook, stirring, just until the spinach wilts. Divide among individual bowls.

Substitution: In place of Spanish chorizo -- a flavorful, garlicky sausage -- you can use Italian sausage. Remove it from the casings, crumble, and cook until browned, 5 to 7 minutes, then continue with the recipe as directed.

* Can I just say I hate cleaning leeks? I can never get all the dirt and grit out of the leaves before I start chopping. Ew.

Comments

Unknown said…
Here's how I clean leeks -- rinse them off, then slice them like you normally would to use in the recipe.
THEN, float them in some water. Swish them around a little bit, break apart the little rings...let them sit for about 10 minutes. Then lift them out of the water, and dry them off. Do not just pour them out, or you get all the dirt on top of them again. When you're done removing the leeks, you should be able to see all the sand and grit at the bottom of the water bowl.
Becky said…
Thanks for the tip, Shannon! I'll try to remember that the next time I need to do anything with leeks.

(This recipe is the second time in a couple of weeks that I've cooked with leeks. I don't remember ever eating leeks very often, so this is something new for me. They've got a nice flavor.)
Anonymous said…
hmm! good tip about the leek dunk 'n' swish.
I like to put leeks in my chicken salad. I'll like it even more without the grit!

this sounds very good, Becky. I will try it soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe